Recognize it! Report it! Fighting harmful and sexist stereotypes in media and ads
The project Recognize it! Report it! Fighting harmful and sexist stereotypes in media and advertising aims to increase awareness on the negative consequences of sexist portrayals of women in the media and reverse this trend in Albania. The project aims to tackle the little-studied and the even less addressed phenomenon of women’s portrayal in the media. It aims to encourage others to stand up for gender equality and fair representation of women in public life. To do so, Tirana Hub will undertake a social media campaign, mostly through Instagram and Facebook, to identify and report highly sexualized and stereotypical portrayal of women in Albanian media and advertising.
The campaign running from September to December 2019 will consist of the following actions:
- Collection of advertisements and media articles in all media outlets in Albania and posted ads in the streets of the capital Tirana.
- Creation of a gallery of pictures to showcase the article/ad where alternative messaging will be developed.
- Research for the preparation of a list of different gender stereotypes and forms of sexism as suggested in the literature.
- Instagram and Facebook campaign, especially during the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence, to attract attention towards all the different types of harmful gender stereotypes in women’s portrayal in the media and advertisement.
- Preparation of an advocacy plan with public state institutions, including the legislative and executive branch, to advocate for regulations and a legal framework that properly addresses stereotypes.